Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Project: Just Learn It Already!

I grew up with a piano in the house, but rarely played. I took trumpet (coronet, actually) lessons in fourth grade, but didn't progress very far. I joined the high school chorus under pressure from the instructor (my two aunts had been proficient students of his), but only sang a handful of times. I joined the drum sections of my high school marching and concert bands (and had a blast for two years), but was never an expert. I had an electric bass guitar in college, but only noodled a bit from time to time. A few years ago, I borrowed a friend's guitar for several months, but it collected dust in its case after a few self-conscious tries.

Now, with all the spare time I have from being downsized from my retail management job back in December, and being bored out of my skull, I have decided to make use of my time, and see if I have the mental wherewithal to learn guitar.

I happen to receive e-mails from a site called Groupon, and today they had a great deal for guitar lessons: Four 30-minute private lessons for $50. I couldn't pass it up. Couple that with my recent guitar shopping (I've had this tiny but steady itch waiting to be scratched for several months now), plus seeing several lifelong friends who are musicians play live rather frequently lately, and I think the time is right to take the plunge.

Why "Jake Burlap"? It's a kooky classic sci-fi rogue-sounding name in the vein of Han Solo, Buck Rogers or Flash Gordon that I have used for a few online games, and have toyed with writing stories about. Having a stage name will make me feel less self-conscious as I figure out how to play guitar, write songs, and (hopefully) perform live someday. Plus, once I get going, it'll be perfect for themes and other stuff (huh?).

Anyway, I am going to look at and buy a guitar sometime this weekend or next week, and then begin my lessons at The Real School of Music in Burlington, MA, hopefully at the beginning of their fall session, on or around September 10th.

No comments:

Post a Comment