Thursday, September 17, 2009

Lesson the First

I arrived at the Real School around 2, leaving me with a half-hour to kill, so I hung out in the lounge with Dwight, one of the guys who works there. We talked about what I wanted to get out of this experience as he gave me a tour of the place. Pretty impressive: many rooms for both lessons and groups, a few lounges, a clean snack area (with free coffee!), and a huge performance room for local and national acts. The main (upper) floor is arranged in a big loop, with rooms both in the center and arranged around the perimeter, so that once you get up the stairs and proceed around the entire floor, you wind up back at the stairs. Add in the bright colors & simple lines of the building, and the Real School seems like a cheery (and not bleak or oppressive) place to learn.

I met my instructor Erik, and he asked me a few questions (what would I like to be able to do; what types of music do I enjoy, and hope to play; what levels of training do I have and on which instruments; etc...). Then it was a quick demonstration on how to tune my guitar. After that it was tablature, chromatic exercises, and open position chords. I actually learned a lot in those first 30 minutes, and he is an easygoing guy, so it was a positive learning environment.

On the way out I decided to go ahead and lock in the full semester, and paid the remaining $315, which will carry me through a total of 13 weeks. Sweet! I plan on putting in at least an hour a day (probably more, split up into morning and evening sets) so I learn & improve at a steady pace...

The Adventure truly has begun!

Currently listening to:

No comments:

Post a Comment