Thursday, October 29, 2009

Catching Up

It's been a few weeks since I've logged anything.

Quick sum-up: while I haven't been practicing every single day since my last post (I've been drawing a lot lately, and began cooking recently, though I practice every other day, for at least an hour), on certain days I just can't seem to put my guitar down, so it all balances out. Which is good, because this undertaking should never feel like a chore (otherwise, what's the point?).

Anyway, I've got most of the open position chords memorized, and am able to do switches with increasing precision. I have simple versions of "Happy Birthday", "The Star Spangled Banner" and "Wild Thing" down. And I've been slowly learning (at various paces) the following songs:
  • "Who Can Save Your Soul" by Jewel
  • "Mrs. Robinson" by Paul Simon
  • "Fallin' For You" by Colbie Caillat (whoo-hoo!)
  • "House of the Rising Sun" by The Animals (trying to be smooth/even throughout by using a metronome).
  • "Heart of Gold" by Neil Young (whose voice I've never liked, but the song is a fun learning tool).
Today in class I worked on "Last Train to Clarksville" by The Monkees. Very interesting stuff! I am immersing myself in the band's 4-disc "Listen to the Band" as I write this (my earliest recollection of playing records was when my mom let me and my brother play her Monkees albums on a fold-out turntable). I think it'll be amazing to play this song for my parents around Christmas when the semester ends, and I finally let my family know I've been taking lessons...

Since I missed last week's lesson (I wasn't feeling up to the long drive) I have two lessons in a row next week (Wed & Thu), which should allow for some real progress. I am having a blast with this undertaking!

Currently listening to (and learning to play):

No comments:

Post a Comment